Enter a clue or pattern or both:
The ClueAnnul (8 letter answer)
NotesThe answer OVERRIDE is rarely seen, appearing only about once every 2100 puzzles.
DefinitionOVERRIDE as a noun:
1. a manually operated device to correct the operation of an automatic device
2. (nullification, override) = the act of nullifying; making null and void; counteracting or overriding the effect or force of something
OVERRIDE as a verb:
1. (overrule, overturn, override, overthrow, reverse) = rule against; "The Republicans were overruled when the House voted on the bill"
2. prevail over; "health considerations override financial concerns"
3. counteract the normal operation of (an automatic gear shift in a vehicle)
4. ride (a horse) too hard