Enter a clue or pattern or both:
The ClueAttested (5 letter answer)
NotesThe answer SWORE is uncommon, appearing about once every 400 puzzles.
Bore witness (to)
Broke a Commandment
Gave a deposition
Gave an oath
Made a promise
___ off (relinquished)
Prepared to testify
Took an oath
Gave up, with "off"
___ off (kicked a habit)
Talked a blue streak?
Turned the air blue
Used colorful language
Said with one's hand on a stack of Bibles
Made a statement on a stack of Bibles?
DefinitionSWEAR as a verb:
1. (curse, cuss, blaspheme, swear, imprecate) = utter obscenities or profanities; "The drunken men were cursing loudly in the street"
2. (affirm, verify, assert, avow, aver, swan, swear) = to declare or affirm solemnly and formally as true; "Before God I swear I am innocent"
3. promise solemnly; take an oath
4. (swear, depose, depone) = make a deposition; declare under oath
5. (trust, swear, rely, bank) = have confidence or faith in; "We can trust in God"; "Rely on your friends"; "bank on your good education"; "I swear by my grandmother's recipes"