Charles ___, Revolutionary officer (5 letter answer)
The answer SCOTT is common and appears about once every 250 puzzles.
Author of "The Abbot"
"The Border Minstrel"
Coretta ___ King
Hazel or Winfield
Martha or Randolph
NPR's ___ Simon
Willard of "Today"
Apollo 15 astronaut
"Dilbert" creator Adams
English entomologist Hugh ___
Key's middle name
Martha or Randolph of films
Mexican War hero
"Rob Roy" author
Apollo 9 and 15 astronaut
He refused a 1970 Oscar
Longtime "Today" show personality
Oscar-winner George: 1970
Loser to Pierce in 1852
Hero of the Mexican-American War
General called "Old Fuss and Feathers"
Sir Walter who wrote "Ivanhoe"
SCOTT as a noun:
1. (Scott, George C. Scott) = award-winning United States film actor (1928-1999)
2. (Scott, Robert Scott, Robert Falcon Scott) = English explorer who reached the South Pole just a month after Amundsen; he and his party died on the return journey (1868-1912)
3. (Scott, Winfield Scott) = United States general who was a hero of the War of 1812 and who defeated Santa Anna in the Mexican War (1786-1866)
4. (Scott, Walter Scott, Sir Walter Scott) = British author of historical novels and ballads (1771-1832)
5. (Scott, Dred Scott) = United States slave who sued for liberty after living in a non-slave state; caused the Supreme Court to declare the Missouri Compromise unconstitutional (1795?-1858)