Enter a clue or pattern or both:
The ClueCut short (4 letter answer)
NotesThe answer CROP is seen frequently, appearing about once every 130 puzzles.
Appear, with "up"
Beans or wheat
Cut, as a photo
Trim a photo
Item held by a jockey
Photo editor's order
Wheat, barley or beans
This may need dusting
DefinitionCROP as a noun:
1. (crop, harvest) = the yield from plants in a single growing season
2. a cultivated plant that is grown commercially on a large scale
3. a collection of people or things appearing together; "the annual crop of students brings a new crop of ideas"
4. the output of something in a season; "the latest crop of fashions is about to hit the stores"
5. the stock or handle of a whip
6. (craw, crop) = a pouch in many birds and some lower animals that resembles a stomach for storage and preliminary maceration of food
CROP as a verb:
1. cut short; "She wanted her hair cropped short"
2. (cultivate, crop, work) = prepare for crops; "Work the soil"; "cultivate the land"
3. yield crops; "This land crops well"
4. (crop, graze, pasture) = let feed in a field or pasture or meadow
5. (crop, browse, graze, range, pasture) = feed as in a meadow or pasture; "the herd was grazing"
6. (snip, clip, crop, trim, lop, dress, prune, cut back) = cultivate, tend, and cut back the growth of; "dress the plants in the garden"