Fixes, illegally (4 letter answer)
The answer RIGS is common and appears about once every 325 puzzles.
Fixes, as fights
Fixes, in a way
Manipulates, as prices
Truck stop stoppers
Puts in proper order, nautically
RIG as a noun:
1. gear (including necessary machinery) for a particular enterprise
2. (trailer truck, tractor trailer, trucking rig, rig, articulated lorry, semi) = a truck consisting of a tractor and trailer together
3. (rig, rigging) = formation of masts, spars, sails, etc., on a vessel
4. (outfit, getup, rig, turnout) = a set of clothing (with accessories); "his getup was exceedingly elegant"
5. (fishing gear, tackle, fishing tackle, fishing rig, rig) = gear used in fishing
6. (carriage, equipage, rig) = a vehicle with wheels drawn by one or more horses
7. (swindle, cheat, rig) = the act of swindling by some fraudulent scheme; "that book is a fraud"
RIG as a verb:
1. (rig, set up) = arrange the outcome of by means of deceit; "rig an election"
2. (rig, manipulate) = manipulate in a fraudulent manner; "rig prices"
3. connect or secure to; "They rigged the bomb to the ignition"
4. (rig, set, set up) = equip with sails or masts; "rig a ship"