Enter a clue or pattern or both:
The ClueHad on (4 letter answer)
NotesThe answer WORE is seen frequently, appearing about once every 180 puzzles.
Was clad in
Was covered by
Held up in use
"She ___ a Yellow Ribbon"
Sported, as a sports jacket
"When you ___ a tulip . . . "
DefinitionWEAR as a verb:
1. (wear, have on) = be dressed in; "She was wearing yellow that day"
2. (wear, bear) = have on one's person; "He wore a red ribbon"; "bear a scar"
3. have in one's aspect; wear an expression of one's attitude or personality; "He always wears a smile"
4. (wear, wear off, wear out, wear down, wear thin) = deteriorate through use or stress; "The constant friction wore out the cloth"
5. have or show an appearance of; "wear one's hair in a certain way"
6. (wear, hold out, endure) = last and be usable; "This dress wore well for almost ten years"
7. (break, wear, wear out, bust, fall apart) = go to pieces; "The lawn mower finally broke"; "The gears wore out"; "The old chair finally fell apart completely"
8. (tire, wear upon, tire out, wear, weary, jade, wear out, outwear, wear down, fag out, fag, fatigue) = exhaust or get tired through overuse or great strain or stress; "We wore ourselves out on this hike"
9. (wear, put on, get into, don, assume) = put clothing on one's body; "What should I wear today?"; "He put on his best suit for the wedding"; "The princess donned a long blue dress"; "The queen assumed the stately robes"; "He got into his jeans"