Enter a clue or pattern or both:
The ClueShellackings (5 letter answer)
NotesThe answer ROUTS is uncommon, appearing about once every 450 puzzles.
Puts to flight
DefinitionROUT as a noun:
1. (mob, rabble, rout) = a disorderly crowd of people
2. an overwhelming defeat
ROUT as a verb:
1. (rout, rout out, expel) = cause to flee; "rout out the fighters from their caves"
2. (rout, root, rootle) = dig with the snout; "the pig was rooting for truffles"
3. (rout, gouge) = make a groove in
4. (spread-eagle, spreadeagle, rout) = defeat disastrously