Enter a clue or pattern or both:
The ClueSmall drum (5 letter answer)
NotesThe answer SNARE is seen frequently, appearing about once every 80 puzzles.
It's a trap
Kind of drum
Sting, in a way
Drum kit part
DefinitionSNARE as a noun:
1. (trap, snare) = something (often something deceptively attractive) that catches you unawares; "the exam was full of trap questions"; "it was all a snare and delusion"
2. (snare drum, snare, side drum) = a small drum with two heads and a snare stretched across the lower head
3. a surgical instrument consisting of wire hoop that can be drawn tight around the base of polyps or small tumors to sever them; used especially in body cavities
4. strings stretched across the lower head of a snare drum; they make a rattling sound when the drum is hit
5. (snare, gin, noose) = a trap for birds or small mammals; often has a slip noose
SNARE as a verb:
1. (trap, entrap, snare, ensnare, trammel) = catch in or as if in a trap; "The men trap foxes"
2. (hook, snare) = entice and trap; "The car salesman had snared three potential customers"