Enter a clue or pattern or both:
The ClueTips (5 letter answer)
NotesThe answer CANTS is seen occasionally, appearing about once every 600 puzzles.
Bevels or whines
Bevels, tilts or whines
Secret thieves of slang
DefinitionCANT as a noun:
1. (buzzword, cant) = stock phrases that have become nonsense through endless repetition
2. (bank, cant, camber) = a slope in the turn of a road or track; the outside is higher than the inside in order to reduce the effects of centrifugal force
3. (slang, cant, jargon, lingo, argot, patois, vernacular) = a characteristic language of a particular group (as among thieves); "they don't speak our lingo"
4. (cant, pious platitude) = insincere talk about religion or morals
5. (bevel, cant, chamfer) = two surfaces meeting at an angle different from 90 degrees
CANT as a verb:
1. (cant, cant over, tilt, slant, pitch) = heel over; "The tower is tilting"; "The ceiling is slanting"