Enter a clue or pattern or both:
The ClueWet mascara worry (5 letter answer)
NotesThe answer SMEAR is seen frequently, appearing about once every 120 puzzles.
Problem with eyeliner
Ruin, as calligraphy
Sling mud at
Attack ad, maybe
Bit of negative campaigning
Campaign dirty trick
Campaign tactic, sometimes
Dirty campaign tactic
Nasty campaign tactic
Slight on the stump, say
Use finger paints
Window cleaner's goof
Window washer's mistake
DefinitionSMEAR as a noun:
1. (smear, vilification, malignment) = slanderous defamation
2. (smear, cytologic smear, cytosmear) = a thin tissue or blood sample spread on a glass slide and stained for cytologic examination and diagnosis under a microscope
3. (smudge, spot, blot, daub, smear, smirch, slur) = a blemish made by dirt; "he had a smudge on his cheek"
4. (blot, smear, smirch, spot, stain) = an act that brings discredit to the person who does it; "he made a huge blot on his copybook"
SMEAR as a verb:
1. stain by smearing or daubing with a dirty substance
2. (smear, blur, smudge, smutch) = make a smudge on; soil by smudging
3. (daub, smear) = cover (a surface) by smearing (a substance) over it; "smear the wall with paint"; "daub the ceiling with plaster"
4. (defame, slander, smirch, asperse, denigrate, calumniate, smear, sully, besmirch) = charge falsely or with malicious intent; attack the good name and reputation of someone; "The journalists have defamed me!" "The article in the paper sullied my reputation"