Enter a clue or pattern or both:
The ClueMain contents (3 letter answer)
NotesThe answer GAS is seen frequently, appearing about once every 60 puzzles.
Ozone, for one
Bunch of fun
Kind of heat
Neon or oxygen
Good time, slangily
The "it" in "Step on it!"
Nitrous oxide, e.g.
Wild time: Slang
Idle talk, so to speak
It makes an auto go
What some demons step on
What people in some pools save
DefinitionGAS as a noun:
1. (gas, gaseous state) = the state of matter distinguished from the solid and liquid states by: relatively low density and viscosity; relatively great expansion and contraction with changes in pressure and temperature; the ability to diffuse readily; and the spontaneous tendency to become distributed uniformly throughout any container
2. a fluid in the gaseous state having neither independent shape nor volume and being able to expand indefinitely
3. (gasoline, gasolene, gas, petrol) = a volatile flammable mixture of hydrocarbons (hexane and heptane and octane etc.) derived from petroleum; used mainly as a fuel in internal-combustion engines
4. (flatulence, flatulency, gas) = a state of excessive gas in the alimentary canal
5. (accelerator, accelerator pedal, gas pedal, gas, throttle, gun) = a pedal that controls the throttle valve; "he stepped on the gas"
6. (natural gas, gas) = a fossil fuel in the gaseous state; used for cooking and heating homes
GAS as a verb:
1. attack with gas; subject to gas fumes; "The despot gassed the rebellious tribes"
2. (boast, tout, swash, shoot a line, brag, gas, blow, bluster, vaunt, gasconade) = show off