Enter a clue or pattern or both:
The ClueMilitary trenches (4 letter answer)
NotesThe answer SAPS is seen frequently, appearing about once every 130 puzzles.
Maple syrup sources
They're easily fleeced
They get taken easily
DefinitionSAP as a noun:
1. a watery solution of sugars, salts, and minerals that circulates through the vascular system of a plant
2. (fool, sap, saphead, muggins, tomfool) = a person who lacks good judgment
3. (blackjack, cosh, sap) = a piece of metal covered by leather with a flexible handle; used for hitting people
SAP as a verb:
1. (run down, exhaust, play out, sap, tire) = deplete; "exhaust one's savings"; "We quickly played out our strength"
2. excavate the earth beneath