Enter a clue or pattern or both:
The ClueShellbacks (5 letter answer)
NotesThe answer SALTS is common and appears about once every 225 puzzles.
Related CluesBath ___
Bath or Epsom
Epsom and table
Popeye and Sinbad
Preserves, as pork
Seasons or deices
Seasons, as steak
Seasons, in a way
De-ices, in a way
Puts (away), as for safekeeping
Does road work of a sort
DefinitionSALT as a noun:
1. a compound formed by replacing hydrogen in an acid by a metal (or a radical that acts like a metal)
2. (salt, table salt, common salt) = white crystalline form of especially sodium chloride used to season and preserve food
3. (Strategic Arms Limitation Talks, SALT) = negotiations between the United States and the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics opened in 1969 in Helsinki designed to limit both countries' stock of nuclear weapons
4. (salt, saltiness, salinity) = the taste experience when common salt is taken into the mouth
SALT as a verb:
1. add salt to
2. sprinkle as if with salt; "the rebels had salted the fields with mines and traps"
3. add zest or liveliness to; "She salts her lectures with jokes"
4. preserve with salt; "people used to salt meats on ships"