Enter a clue or pattern or both:
The ClueSubdued (5 letter answer)
NotesThe answer SOBER is common and appears about once every 250 puzzles.
___ as a judge
On the wagon
Like a judge
Like a teetotaler
Off the sauce
Over the influence?
Staid or subdued
Able to walk the line
Like a designated driver
Like a designated driver, presumably
Not inclined to horse around
DefinitionSOBER as a verb:
1. cause to become sober; "A sobering thought"
2. (sober up, sober) = become more realistic; "After thinking about the potential consequences of his plan, he sobered up"
3. (sober up, sober) = become sober after excessive alcohol consumption; "Keep him in bed until he sobers up"
SOBER as an adjective:
1. not affected by a chemical substance (especially alcohol)
2. (grave, sedate, sober, solemn) = dignified and somber in manner or character and committed to keeping promises; "a grave God-fearing man"; "a quiet sedate nature"; "as sober as a judge"; "a solemn promise"; "the judge was solemn as he pronounced sentence"
3. (drab, sober, somber, sombre) = lacking brightness or color; dull; "drab faded curtains"; "sober Puritan grey"; "children in somber brown clothes"
4. (unplayful, serious, sober) = completely lacking in playfulness