Enter a clue or pattern or both:
The ClueThing sometimes given or caught (4 letter answer)
NotesThe answer HELL is common and appears about once every 275 puzzles.
"War is ___"
Epitome of hotness
Something to pay?
Tophet or Gehenna
"War is ___": Sherman
War, to Sherman
Alternative to high water
"The Divine Comedy" locale
"___ hath no fury . . . "
High water alternative
High water's partner
Sherman's word for war
Site of Milton's Pandemonium
Something to catch or raise
What partyers raise
Word with bent or diver
Subject of Dante's "Inferno"
It may be raised at a party
Something to catch from scolding parents
What may be raised at celebrations
DefinitionHELL as a noun:
1. (hell, hell on earth, hellhole, snake pit, the pits, inferno) = any place of pain and turmoil; "the hell of battle"; "the inferno of the engine room"; "when you're alone Christmas is the pits";
2. (hell, blaze) = a cause of difficulty and suffering; "war is hell"; "go to blazes"
3. (Hell, perdition, Inferno, infernal region, nether region, pit) = (Christianity) the abode of Satan and the forces of evil; where sinners suffer eternal punishment; "Hurl'd headlong...To bottomless perdition, there to dwell"- John Milton; "a demon from the depths of the pit"
4. (Hel, Hell, Hades, infernal region, netherworld, Scheol, underworld) = (religion) the world of the dead; "he didn't want to go to hell when he died"
5. (sin, hell) = violent and excited activity; "they began to fight like sin"
6. (hell, blaze) = noisy and unrestrained mischief; "raising blazes"