Enter a clue or pattern or both:
The ClueTrack employee (7 letter answer)
NotesThe answer STARTER is seen occasionally, appearing about once every 800 puzzles.
One with a gun for a run
Not a substitute
Official with a gun
Not a member of the reserves
His shot causes many to run
DefinitionSTARTER as a noun:
1. (starter, starter motor, starting motor) = an electric motor for starting an engine
2. a contestant who is in the game at the beginning
3. (starter, dispatcher) = the official who signals the beginning of a race or competition
4. (newcomer, fledgling, fledgeling, starter, neophyte, freshman, newbie, entrant) = any new participant in some activity
5. (appetizer, appetiser, starter) = food or drink to stimulate the appetite (usually served before a meal or as the first course)
6. (crank, starter) = a hand tool consisting of a rotating shaft with parallel handle
7. a culture containing yeast or bacteria that is used to start the process of fermentation or souring in making butter or cheese or dough; "to make sourdough you need a starter"