Enter a clue or pattern or both:
The ClueTrampled (on) (4 letter answer)
NotesThe answer TROD is seen frequently, appearing about once every 90 puzzles.
___ on (trampled)
___ the boards (acted)
Walked all over
Put one's foot down
" . . . still by faith he ___": V. Lindsay
DefinitionTREAD as a verb:
1. (step, tread) = put down or press the foot, place the foot; "For fools rush in where angels fear to tread"; "step on the brake"
2. (tread, trample) = tread or stomp heavily or roughly; "The soldiers trampled across the fields"
3. crush as if by treading on; "tread grapes to make wine"
4. brace (an archer's bow) by pressing the foot against the center
5. apply (the tread) to a tire
6. mate with; "male birds tread the females"