Enter a clue or pattern or both:
The ClueCatch, and how! (4 letter answer)
NotesThe answer NAIL is seen frequently, appearing about once every 100 puzzles.
"For want of a ___ . . . "
Brad or spad
Catch in the act
Catch a crook
Detect and expose
Fasten or fastener
Kind of file
One with a pounding head?
Something to file
Catch but good
Do carpentry work
___ down (make final)
It gets hammered
It's at your fingertip
Kingdom loser in a refrain
Place for some polish
Word with polish or file
It's often hit on the head
Its overgrowth is called onychauxis
It's on the tip of one's finger
Something to be hit on the head
Something an office worker might file
DefinitionNAIL as a noun:
1. horny plate covering and protecting part of the dorsal surface of the digits
2. a thin pointed piece of metal that is hammered into materials as a fastener
3. a former unit of length for cloth equal to 1/16 of a yard
NAIL as a verb:
1. attach something somewhere by means of nails; "nail the board onto the wall"
2. (collar, nail, apprehend, arrest, pick up, nab, cop) = take into custody; "the police nabbed the suspected criminals"
3. (smash, nail, boom, blast) = hit hard; "He smashed a 3-run homer"
4. (nail down, nail, peg) = succeed in obtaining a position; "He nailed down a spot at Harvard"
5. (breeze through, ace, pass with flying colors, sweep through, sail through, nail) = succeed at easily; "She sailed through her exams"; "You will pass with flying colors"; "She nailed her astrophysics course"
6. (pinpoint, nail) = locate exactly; "can you pinpoint the position of the enemy?"; "The chemists could not nail the identity of the chromosome"
7. (complete, nail) = complete a pass