Enter a clue or pattern or both:
The ClueTomlin as Ernestine (8 letter answer)
NotesThe answer OPERATOR is seen occasionally, appearing about once every 700 puzzles.
Related CluesA ham is one
O, on a telephone
Part of B.T.O.
Person at the controls
Someone to dial
Person who's a zero?
Responder to O on the dial
Lily Tomlin role in "Laugh-In"
One whose working days are numbered
DefinitionOPERATOR as a noun:
1. (mathematics) a symbol that represents a function from functions to functions; "the integral operator"
2. (operator, manipulator) = an agent that operates some apparatus or machine; "the operator of the switchboard"
3. someone who owns or operates a business; "who is the operator of this franchise?"
4. (hustler, wheeler dealer, operator) = a shrewd or unscrupulous person who knows how to circumvent difficulties
5. a speculator who trades aggressively on stock or commodity markets